Word Ferret Online Help
The object of this game is to find as many words as possible in the allotted three minutes per round. Each word scores points - the longer the word, the more points are scored. When the round is completed, your score (if greater than zero) is presented along with all the other players who elect to play simultaneously.
A new round starts thirty seconds after the previous one and the leaderboard is refreshed every thirty seconds.
You may choose to play alone by pressing the "Play Alone" button at the start. If so, you will have the opportunity to change the length of each round or even play untimed (by setting minutes to zero). Also, after each round you control when to start the next one. A new puzzle is available every minute.
How To Play
- Words are made from any letters that are adjacent, either horizontally, vertically or diagonally. The same letter tile cannot be used more than once per word.
- To record the words, hold the mouse down on the start letter and then drag over the letters to make the word. Release the mouse on the last letter.
- If you prefer, you can click each letter of the word (instead of drag mode) and then click the last letter again (or Enter key) to submit it.
(Note: in Flash version this is called 'Click Mode' and you need to check the box to enable this mode.)
- If you prefer to use the keyboard, enter the word in the input box below the letter grid, then press "Enter" key.
- Only words in the Word Ferret dictionary will be accepted (about 82,000).
- No three letter words allowed
- No proper nouns, eg Spain, Chinese.
- Plurals are allowed. Watch for the letter "S" as these help make many more words.
- Word Ferret rewards you greatly for finding longer words. See scoring table below the game board.
- Pressing the "Rotate" button will rotate the letter grid as if you were sitting at a different position. This has no effect on the possible list of words for the board.