How To Play
- Enter the time limit you would like for the game in the initial dialog box. If you want
unlimited time, enter 0.
- At the start of each move, you are given seven letter tiles. To place a tile on the board,
simply drag it or click on a square on the board, then click the tile or enter the letter of the
tile via the keyboard.
- All the tiles in each move must be in the same line horizontally or vertically.
Also, you must use at least one existing letter on the board for the new word, unless it's the first word
in which case it must use the middle square.
- In forming a horizontal word, any letters directly above or below those letters placed may form vertical words. A bonus is
awarded for more than one word formed on a move. (Same applies to vertical words.)
- To submit a word, click the "Submit" button or press the Enter key. Once accepted, a word cannot be undone.
- Only words in the dkm SpeedCross dictionary are accepted (over 170,000). No proper nouns.
- To undo the last tile placed, click the "Undo" button or drag the tile off the board. To recall all the tiles played
in the current move, click the "Recall" button.
- You can swap a tile for a new one but it will cost you 10 points. Click the "Swap" button, then the tile to swap.
- You can re-arrange tiles on the rack by dragging a tile to a new position on the rack.
Each word formed in a move scores the sum of it's letter values plus extra if one of the tiles in that move
is placed on
a special square. Special squares are:
Double Letter (DL) - letter on that square scores double its value.
Triple Letter (TL) - letter on that square scores triple its value.
Double Word (DW) - word scores double.
Triple Word (TW) - word scores triple.
In addition, a bonus is scored if four or more tiles are used in a move:
4 tiles scores 2 points, 5 tiles scores 5 points, 6 tiles scores 10 points and 7 tiles scores 20 points.
Once the above score and bonus is calculated, an additional bonus is scored if you make more than one word in
a move - your score is multiplied by the number of words you make.
Swapping a tile costs 10 points.
In the example above, adding the letter "R" to the "O" already placed makes the word "FOR" and also makes the word "NO".
Therefore, the score for "FOR" is 12 (double word), for "NO" is 2 which totals 14. This is then doubled because two words
were formed, giving a score of 28.
You may find it quickest to place words using the keyboard. Click on a square on the board to highlight it and then enter
the letter (of one of the tiles) to go in that square. You can move the highlighted square using your arrow keys.
Press Enter to submit the word.